Sunday, April 7, 2013

Forms Of Entertainment

This Tuesday we are writing an essay in Greek class. Since I'm not that great a writer in my own mother tongue, which is ironic, I thought of doing some research on the topic we are writing on. I was actually going to do a post on ''Memories'', but since my new topic is more fresh, I might as well.
So, without further ado, today's topic is... Entertainment! 
In my mind, entertainment is whatever activity you do on your free time. Even if that activity is sitting at home  looking at the ceiling. If you look forward to doing it, then it is entertainment.
But why do we look forward to it? In all fairness, life is genuinely hard. Whatever gets us out of bed and gives us hope is great. 
Apparently, some research has been done which suggests that all societies even ancient ones had invented ways to have fun, like the famous Ancient Greek symposium .
Today fun, because of the hectic life we are living, is a way to break out of character. To get out of control, and be irresponsible. Well, that's what most people want. That is why we have bars, clubs and parties. If you don't want to think about it, you can always drink about it...
In a text I read there was a whole page dedicated to how bad this is. But honestly, I believe it helps people. If you suppress feelings, especially stress, you can, actually, get sick. Psychosomatic disease it's called. You can google it. 
The question still remains, why do we entertain ourselves this way and not otherwise? If you think about a century ago people used to go and have fun in parks and forests, or nature in general. Today due to the lack of parks and because we have different problems, we find different outlets.
If we work or learn for a long period of time, then we want to fall into physical and intellectual lethargy. So that's another form of entertainment for ya! Sleeping, which is what I'm going to do right now. Just kidding, I will probably get my Internet on and only sleep 5 hours tonight.