Saturday, April 6, 2013

Nature Versus Nurture

This topic is going to be a little more deep than what I usually write. I last wrote about what we think is normal, according to society. I have been wanting to write about today's topic for a while now. But I have never found any good arguments. That is up until we discussed "The Caucasian Chalk Circle" in literature class. Plus, with all the equality campaigns going on in the world, I would love to be as active as I can and talk about this topic.
Wikipedia defines the topic with the following : "The nature versus nurture debate concerns the relative importance of an individual's innate qualities ("nature," i.e. nativism, or innatism) versus personal experiences ("nurture," i.e. empiricism or behaviorism) in determining or causing individual differences in physical and behavioral traits."As you see, one cannot be absolute and say what actually happens, because if it were possible, this wouldn't be a debate. 
On the one hand, nature really defines a lot, such as hair color and height, so why not also character? And we shouldn't exclude geneticism, which is a thriving biological science.  On the other hand, nobody can say that external influences, such as family and friends are irrelevant. But the question still remains, which one of the two has the most significant role?
In my non-scientific opinion both factors are equally significant. I honestly speak from experience, because I have a twin brother. That means I have another person, who has experienced almost all the same things as I have. And as a good friend of mine pointed out, there are many differences between my brother and I.
Firstly, our appearance. We share many characteristics, but we look more like cousins than we do brothers. We have the same eyes, the same nose and almost the same color hair, but we don't look alike that much.
As far as interests go, we are two completely different people. We have other tastes in music, although we have some we can both agree on, and for instance, I hate sports, honestly any kind that exists, apart from volleyball, and he a basketball fanatic. That means we have had the same upbringing, but we are still two different people. 
We have the same body stance, though.
As much as we'd like to find something that is infallible regarding this topic, psychology and DNA are not that closely related.
In that sense, you can't call being gay an option, or make fun of someone, who is in your opinion ugly. Because simply, it has nothing to do with conscious choices, DNA and upbringing are things you can't influence.The only thing you can determine is how you play that hand you were given.