Monday, April 15, 2013

The Three Ps and Media

More like "Downloaded an album illegally today"
My title is a little enigmatic, so I think I'm going to give in and tell you today's topic, since I don't like talking about an unfamiliar subject. So, here we go. The Placebo Pill and Problems.
Let me elaborate on the whole placebo situation.
The Placebo Effect firstly came into being after some scientists thought: " Do pills really influence the outcome of a disease or is it just the brain that does all the work?". So, they started an experiment where they gave patients medically ineffective pills and started taking notes. After a while, the scientists, actually, found out that the pills still took effect. Just because the brain thought that the body had been taken care of. Of course, that happened mainly on the patients that were experiencing some mental issue, like depression, but it worked on physical pain, as well. Oh, and the opposite of the placebo effect is the nocebo effect.
And now for the "problems" part. The picture I have put up gives a vague idea of where I'm going with this. Yes, the image is a so-called "First World Problem". We, as humans, are unable to fathom the notion that we might for once have it good. And if the problems we experience aren't threatening to our health or survival, in general, then they probably are "first world problems". In this category falls the expression I use the most, "Oh, mum, I want buy a new <put consumer electronics here>! I can't live without it!". I know there are many other go-to phrases, but that one expresses me the most. Most of these problems are built by the consumerist side of our society, but I'm going to let it be for now.
 Yeah, I suppose you see how the three Ps could may be associated with one another, but why media?
Well every medium is one big placebo pill that takes care of our trivial problems. When you watch a TV show about a person, who is an infallible detective, who solves the weirdest crime cases. You are mainly doing it, because you want to escape from the present. You are bored of it, it's too hard, nobody gets you or you are miserable for one or another reason, that doesn't really matter. The TV, the Internet or a book are going to temporarily remedy it away. Much like your mum does when you have the flu.