Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Habits

Do you know the saying "power of habit"? Well, it's a habit to write on this blog, so I took a break from my studying to whip something up for you. I'd also like to thank everybody who's reading this, because now I have visitors from 13 countries. Which for me is a big smile of approval, so... I thank you deeply!


Wikipedia defines habits as routines of behavior that are repeated regulary and tend to occur subconsciously. Put in simpler words, it means that our brain can put actions on replay after doing something for a long period of time.

The most common one of any scenarios to explain this is the following: You are talking with your best friend over the phone. Almost an hour has gone by and she asks you to check something on the Internet. So you decide; why not search it with your phone? You look around and you say in panic "Where did my freaking phone go?! Oh my god, I lost it!"

Then your friend says the cliche phrase "Check your hand, you dimwit..." You look reluctantly there and boom! There it is.
Your brain was used to holding the smartphone, so you continued doing what you would do normally without thinking. It's not forgetting, it's muscle memory. The habit your body has to learn a motor skill by repetition or duration.

In that sense, I was not able to help myself from opening this page and starting to write. It was done subconsciously. Let's blame it on this!

Please support by +1 or sharing!