Friday, May 17, 2013

I Would Just Call It Progress

So yesterday I was bored out of my mind, and I saw an advertisement about the second semi-finals of the Eurovision Song Contest. For those of you who don't live in Europe this is basically a contest, where most of the European countries take part in. 

In yesterday's semi-final something unexpected happened, at the end of the song "Marry Me" of Finland's entry the female lead singer kissed another woman. I know most of non-Europeans think that we are really liberal, but in all truth we just don't care what others do, as long as it doesn't affect us. But this was unexpected to say the least.

Anyway the point is that that is a pretty damn big step towards equality of all forms. Keep in mind that this show is broadcasted to all European countries and also available on the eurovision.tv WebTV site for everybody to see.

What surprised me was the cheers that followed that kiss, and I bet if those were two men that wouldn't happen, but anyway.

I was still pleasantly surprised for the message it sent, with all the gay marriage laws and all.

By the way, the word lesbian is a Greek word, Lesbos is an island, and the women there are called Lesbians. The first known gay woman was from there, so there you have it.