Sunday, May 12, 2013

Survival Mode On

I was lying in bed yesterday and couldn't sleep. I'm not really surprised, insomnia is a daily process now. Anyway, the point is, I thought of how selfish I get when I'm in pain. By pain I mean, mostly physical, because the other variety isn't even pain. It's just awfulness embodied in the form of emotions.

So, back to the topic at hand!

I am a firm believer that we are closely connected to other mammals, just because we are ones, as well. I'm not talking about evolution, I'm just talking about plain old biology. Where I'm getting at is that we have instincts, just like every other mammal/animal.

Instincts are mechanisms that are difficult to control and occur when certain stimuli reach the brain. One of these is pain.

When I'm experiencing pain, I genuinely don't give a fuck. You could be falling of a cliff and I wouldn't even care. Right there and then is where the "survival" instinct kicks in. Just remember that by survival I'm not talking about extreme situations, because these are hard to find, not impossible, but still hard.

This instinct pretty much turns you into a selfish pig. And that's not bad when there's a life threatening situation, but egoism isn't something to be proud of.

Example: I have a terrible headache. By some weird circumstance somebody gets offended by something I have said. They cause a scene of how insensitive what I said was. Keep in mind my head's trying to burst. I will simply walk away. No defensive "Oh, yeah, but you..." or anything.
The funny thing is that I'm actually a very considerate and sensitive
guy. 

The bottom line is that, when faced with something painful, you turn into a completely different person and you hope that's not who you are.